I'm reading such a great book right now! The reviews for the last three books I've read are percolating in the back of my brain, but this book is consuming much of my thoughts right now.
It's called "Crazy Love", and be ready, because I have a feeling this is the first of many posts it will prompt me to write. I feel like this theme of "LIVE your life for God" is everywhere I turn around these days--and that is the idea behind this book I'm reading. The love God has for us should inspire such an amazing love for Him and His people that we do something crazy. It's very convicting for me personally.
One 'side point' he has made has just really driven a point home to me. It's in the context of how much God loves us, and has a purpose for our lives. It's a reminder that we are created to do good works, and we shouldn't be afraid that we aren't talented enough or spiritual enough or influential enough. . .God has given us a job to do and He will equip us to complete it. "I don't have to worry about not meeting His expectations. God will ensure my success in accordance with His plan, not mine" (59). We can't be 'good enough' on our own, we just need to surrender our lives to be used for God's purpose and glory--not our own. So, here is the quote:
"Many people look at their lives and weigh their sins against their good deeds. But Isaiah 64:6 says, "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags." Our good deeds can never outweigh our sins. The literal interpretation of 'filthy rags' in this verse is 'menstrual garments' (think used tampons. . .and if you're disgusted by that idea, you get Isaiah's point). It's hard to imagine something more disgusting that we could brag about or put on display. But compared to God's perfect holiness, that's how our good deeds appear." (60)
Think about that for a minute! Next time you feel tempted to make sure everyone knows that good thing you did, imagine yourself proudly displaying a used tampon. (I know, it's easy to see what a turn off this is in others, isn't it, but I have to point it back at myself.) What a thought!
Disgustingly vivid enough that I 'might' learn from it!
ReplyDeleteI am in the middle of reading this and love it. It steps at my toes and brings up a lot to chew on. Glad that you're enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteLaurie Ulrich (now from Kansas)
Ok...I get it! SICK!!!! Can't stop giggling...Marcy
ReplyDeleteGood thoughts. John has a sermon where he talks about the menstrual garments thing. It's a bit uncomfortable to sit through. Must be to give it as well. ;)
ReplyDelete