Since the summer is pretty well over, I thought I would summarize a few fun events from the month of August.

The pool was great fun this year, and Easton and Kiana had no fear of the water. I outfitted them with life vests and floaties and found I could relax and enjoy it as well.


The kids loved it when mom and dad got in the pool with them, and they were even more thrilled when friends came over to join in on the fun. I don't know how many hours they spent in the pool or on the slip and slide, but it was definitely a hit for the summer. Easton is still adamant that he wants to go swimming, but the pool is in the process of being drained because I know the water's cooler temperature and the wind would result in a cold and whiny wet boy!

How would shoes get so muddy, you ask??

Well, aside from the fact that we had mud all summer long from all the crazy rain, we had a fun night at a local rodeo. Easton was thrilled to play with his good buddy, Zayne, and they ended up two very dirty little boys. We had a lot of fun enjoying the rodeo and companionship with friends, and then everyone showered when we got home past bedtime.

Easton doesn't look very thrilled here, but he and Kiana love the baby chicks we are raising to eat. We used to get them around Easter and butcher in early June, but it seems that time of year is always so busy with baseball and other activities, so last year we got them in August and butchered in October. That worked out great, so we're doing it that way again this year.

The kids love to hold the baby chicks, and whenever friends come to play they are quickly invited to hold the baby chicks. "Here are the rules," Easton tells them. "Don't step on them because they will die. And make sure you shut the door because Pilchard (the cat) will eat them."
Another rule has recently been added to the list. "Don't get a bunch of chicken feed and dog feed and spread it all over the floor."
Would you like to guess why this rule has been added? (Don't let this innocent face fool you!)

The summer isn't complete without our annual trip to the IOWA STATE FAIR.

Even though we have baby chicks at home, they still capture the children's attention at the Fair (although they didn't quite understand why they couldn't hold them!).

Easton especially loved the baby piglets. I like this setup better than ours at home, where our pigs are in the mud. Hopefully, we'll have some piglets in the next few months for the kids to play with at home.

Briana thought we couldn't go to the IA State Fair without getting a picture of the annual butter cow. I can't help but think of how much butter that is--and how long it would take to make it all!

Easton immediately recognized some of his favorite characters from "Green Eggs and Ham".

The fair is never complete without a quick trip down the big yellow slide! Easton was also thrilled to ride the ski lift, and Kiana has mentioned the roller coaster several times since our trip. She thinks we should go back to the fair to ride it. I don't have the heart to tell her that she'll probably be 15 before she is considered tall enough to ride a roller coaster!!! :)

I thought this picture of Kiana feeding goldfish crackers to her little cousin, Mya, was just precious. The funny part is that Mya's mouth was completely full of them already!
We've been blessed with a wonderful summer, and as much as I love the Fall season, I am not quite ready for it this year. But ready or not, here it is!
Look at Mya's adorable blonde hair!! I haven't seen her in so long. I looove the fair pictures and other baby animals, your kids are so lucky to live on a farm, and get to know rules like "don't step on the chickens" lol. It was wonderful to see you this weekend. I can't wait until the next tiem.
ReplyDeletechuckle, Yes, indeed, Jenna, that rule is very important for life! :) It was great to see you, and visit with you, too!!
ReplyDeletei was laughing so hard at the rodeo when he came up with those muddy shoes! it reminded me of my kids so much and you just can't get mad b/c it is so stinking cute and you HAVE to get the camera out:) looks like you had a great, enjoyable summer.
ReplyDelete