"It's okay," he responded unenthusiastically. "It's just not great writing, you know?"
Oh yes, I know. I suppose it's okay that not all books are "masterfully written" for then we wouldn't fully appreciate it and would miss the joy when we get to revel in an author's gift. I just wish that feeling came along a little more frequently--the feeling I get when a book completely transports me, challenges me, and changes me.
I recently read "Honey for a Woman's Heart" by Gladys Hunt, and she nailed it right on the head. This is what I'm looking for. Recommendations anyone?
Good prose is like a windowpane. It is crystal clear; it is focused; it startles the reader with the view. Good writers hone down their sentences,using no extra words, few adjectives, and strong verbs. You can feel good writing. (pg 46)
How does a reader unravel this merging of characters, action, plot, theme, and language in a good book? Asking some basic questions may clarify what you are looking for.Something happens inside you as you read a really good book, and its significance is what haunts you long after you have finished reading it. If a book leaves you exactly where it found you, thinking and feeling nothing you hadn't felt or thought before, you are no different for having read it. The criterion for a memorable book is the hope of rereading it some day and a passion to share the book with someone else (49).
1. What are the characters like? Are they real and memorable?
2. What do they want and why do they do what they do?
3. What true things does this book say about the human heart? about the world?
4. How does this book stretch me and enlarge my world/life view?
5. What is memorable about the author's use of language?
I tend to read books for information so the ones I can suggest are not beautifully written, but they did make quite an impact on me - enough that I want everyone to read them. Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Gut And Psycholgy Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
ReplyDeleteI have no suggestions. I'm sad to say I'm a leisure reader. I honestly don't want the books I read to be very thought provoking. I want them to be fun, fairly mindless entertainment. Does this make me a bad person? I occasionally read things that are deeper, but not very often. The only book I can think of that changed me was "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. However I DO NOT recommend this book. It changed me like watching someone be assaulted changes you. In that, "there are somethings you can't unread/unsee" kind of way. I actually didn't even finish it, I put it down and asked my husband if we could burn it. Thus ending my "I want to read American Classics" phase. Okay, well that was a rambling comment. That's the great thing about your blog Shonya, so very thought provoking!
ReplyDeleteRecently read Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder with my children and I loved it! Probably for #3 & 4 on your list above but it opened some very neat discussions with my kids. Not all books are as good as that but this one was wonderful.
ReplyDeleteLet me be clear that this is not a full-fledged recommendation, exactly, but years ago I read Alice Sebold's memoir Lucky and I never felt the same. It's a brutal account of her rape and the aftermath, and it's very moving. And brutal, did I mention? The details have faded, it's been maybe 8 years, but it was disturbing and beautiful at the same time.
ReplyDeleteIf you're ever looking for something riveting in fictional entertainment, have you read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield or The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? Both have their, um, not-child-friendly aspects, though. But they've really stayed with me.
I completely forgot: have you read any Brennan Manning? I've got Ruthless Trust and I heard Ragamuffin's Gospel is wonderful.
ReplyDelete