Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Love-Hate Relationship

I recently finished the book "Mere Churchianity" by Michael Spencer. He had some observations I found excellent and thought-provoking, and at other points, I wanted to scribble all over the page, challenge him, or close the book and not pick it up again.

In a nutshell, Spencer is saying that the church has become a self-perpetuating institution which claims to represent Jesus but in actuality is disconnected from Jesus and all he stands for, so true seekers of God are leaving the church in order to become more like Christ.

My first criticism of this book is its bold statements using trigger words whose connotations he has not clearly explained. As Socrates once said "if you wish to debate with me, you must first define your terms." I was also put off by the arrogance and double standard littered throughout the book. For example, he frequently criticized others for a lack of Scripture to support their actions and beliefs (comically referring to someone having an idea and sticking a Jesus smiley face 'sticker of approval' on it), then he turned around and claimed his statements and beliefs as fact without supporting Scripture. At other times he outright twisted and misapplied Scripture. He criticized the arrogance of some claiming to know what Christ wants from His people, then told the reader what is best. Ironically, he observed that the most consistently Jesus-shaped people are the ones living the life, not telling anyone what to do. In one breath he looks down his nose at the "unsophisticated" and "theological ignorance and error" of some believers and in the next commends them for their 'straightforward preaching of Jesus' words'. These are problems, and some of the reasons I will not recommend this book to anyone.

Having addressed the book's weakest points, I must also share some outstanding observations. Spencer didn't mince any words in his attempt to awaken church-goers to their tendency to "go to church" as observers, as "satisfied audiences", rather than as disciples who have a mission in the world. He asked if the church's goal should be to help each christian become a missionary in his/her own world, or if the church's goal should be to attract large numbers of people, bring lots of money to the budget, and get members in sync with church activities. He challenged readers to go beyond a club-mentality concept of church and live as Jesus did by loving the sinner.

My favorite analogy from this book compared a FAN to a PLAYER. Going to games, buying jerseys, collecting baseball cards and memorizing statistics does not make someone a baseball player. "There is no question that such a person has a sincere interest in baseball, but he's a fan not a player" (191). In the same way, Spencer goes on to address "fans of Jesus" in a culture where "following Jesus isn't really serious business, not on the level of risk, life, and death. Instead, it involves having a great life, hearing great music, hanging out at great events, and getting the T-shirt" (193). He reminds us that in the first century, it was *dangerous* to be a Christian--not popular or cool. What would the church look like today if all of us professing Christians were more than mere fans? What if we didn't limit our faith to a "christianized consumer culture"? What if we truly died to ourselves and lived for Christ? What if we were willing to suffer, go to prison, and/or die for the cause of Christ?

Finally, Spencer had some insightful observations, but I am uncomfortable with his prescription for 'Jesus-followers' to leave 'church' and pursue a 'Jesus-shaped spirituality and community'. My gut response to this book conjures up the word "profane." I understand profane to refer to not attributing value where we should. Esau, for example, was called a profane person (Hebrews 12:13-17) because he didn't value his birthright and thus sold it for a mere morsel. He was irreverent in his consideration of his birthright; he showed contempt for it and treated it as common. When I consider that our Lord describes the church (assembly, called out group of people meeting for a particular cause or purpose--in this case to worship, serve, and glorify Christ) as His bride and His body of which He is the Head, and which He loves and gave himself up for. . .well, I see the church as something to value. Rejecting and demeaning Christ's body, treating it as unnecessary and common, preferring the morsels of men. . .this doesn't sound like we are valuing what Christ values and loving what Christ loves.

As I sang the following words with other believers in the assembly this past Sunday, I couldn't help but reflect at how we mess up God's perfect will and thus fail to bring Him glory.

In my life, Lord,
be glorified.
Be glorified.
In your church, Lord,
be glorified today.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very thought provoking book. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you that you didn't need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misti--chuckle, what does that mean? It made me think--that's *always* good for me! :) It still had good observations and challenges, even though it wasn't a book I liked overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the church has its problems, and I'm glad he had some good points. But to throw it all out because imperfect people have the tendency to act like imperfect people? I guess sort of like in a marriage or family, we find out we have to bear with one another way more than we had originally expected to. I'm glad you wrote about the book, even if it made you angry at points. It sounds like there's a lot of good discussion that can come out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen--thanks for your comment. I'm glad I wrote about it too because it helped me process my thoughts from reading it.

    I think one big thing I got from reading and processing this book is that it begins with me--how will *I* live *my* life? Glorifying God? Following Christ and His teaching? Loving the people I encounter in my life? Or following man; treating the church like a club; reducing christianity to 'christian-speak'; being smug, self-righteous, arrogant. . .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!