Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Fresh Look

My family was recently blessed by a dramatic recitation of the Gospel according to Mark. I love that the Word of God is quick, living, and powerful and has something fresh for us every time we encounter it.

Hearing the entire book of Mark in about 90 minutes refreshed the big picture for me. Here are just a few points that stood out to me.
  • The compassion and the power of Jesus. He touched the leper, fed the multitudes, reassured and healed the sick, raised the dead, blessed the children, restored sight to the blind. . .even as His disciples wanted to brush them aside.
  • The lack of understanding from His followers. I lost track of how many times the Scripture said the disciples didn't understand. Truly we "do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."
  • The tough teachings of Jesus. Often I think we want to view Jesus only as the One who healed, fed, and touched. But there are some tough teachings in the book of Mark. Removal of all that causes us to sin (hand, foot, eye, divorce) because it is better to be maimed, to suffer, in this life than to be thrown into hell--that is some serious stuff.
  • The humility of Christ. He avoided worldly acclaim by cautioning people not to tell who He was and had a heart of service rather than exercising His authority for His own sake.
  • The many times Jesus admonished the religious leaders. I was struck by their critical spirits (seeking a reason to accuse Jesus), their pride, their nitpicking. . .their stubborn hearts.
Here is an excerpt from Mark 5 so you can be blessed as well. I challenge you, as Eric Wilson's oral interpretation challenged me--read through the book of Mark. It's not that long, it took me less than an hour. Renew the big picture, then share what stands out to you.


"Tell how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you." Mark 5:19

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh! I was planning to go to that and someone talked me out of it (thought it was going to be a theological "discussion"). I wish I had made it. THanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!