
Destry turned 13 this week. I am still a little in shock wondering where time has gone. On the other hand, I have seen amazing growth in my son. I think back to his younger years and times that he was so busy and energetic that I didn't know what to do with him. I think of times it seemed he broke everything he touched, and times his anger got the better of him and he lost control and would even hurt friends. I think of when I despaired of him ever being responsible, industrious, conscientious, or considerate.
Yes, I have definitely seen the Lord working in Destry's life. God has given him a sense of compassion to help and protect. Many have shared with me how he has blessed them by opening doors, carrying things for them, and changing their flat tire. Through the fruit of the Holy Spirit, he is gaining self-control over his emotions. We can count on him to help with things around the farm and know he can take care of a situation when it arises. He is more diligent in his schoolwork, and takes initiative around the house and farm when he sees that something needs done. Instead of getting frustrated and giving up when he encounters a problem, he is gaining the maturity to apply problem-solving techniques. He has grown from being a follower to being a leader.

Alan and I have been noticing these signs of maturity in him, as well as other physical signs of him beginning the journey toward manhood. Alan has long planned to do something to 'call out' his son from childhood into manhood. We don't think this time is about an arbitrary age, nor even just about physical maturity, but other less tangible evidences such as maturity, self-control, responsibility, respect, etc. This is certainly not something everyone has to do, nor should anyone do it just like Alan did with Destry. The time seemed right to us, as his parents, to initiate a rite of passage and indicate to our son that he is leaving childhood and journeying toward manhood. (These rites of passage have been a theme throughout many time periods and cultures. Interestingly, in this age of no such custom, many American boys resist becoming men far into their 20s.) Alan plans to continue this theme at a couple other moments throughout Destry's maturity with more men who care about Destry and can help guide him as he becomes a man.

Alan's theme for this initiation ceremony revolved around a toolbox and several tools. The toolbox represented the Word of God which holds all the tools a man needs throughout his life. Each of the God-fearing men presented a different tool from the box and related it to practical and spiritual applications. For example, a tape measure and square remind a man that he must have a standard throughout his life, and that standard must be the Word of God. Everything in his life must be measured against it. The hammer represented strength--physical, spiritual, and mental. The safety glasses represent the need to protect his eyes and heart.

The men affirmed Destry as they have seen growth in his life. They shared fellowship with him, and discussed what a man is and is not, and shared stories from their lives.

They laid hands of acceptance and unity on him, sending him forth with a purpose to be strong and show himself a man walking in the ways of God (I Kings 2:1-3). They prayed over him, and blessed him. They shared their hearts and committed to be available to him for support, counsel, and a helping hand when he stumbles.

He was blessed by this time of fellowship and counsel, and it seems to me he's walking a little taller since this time which both acknowledged his place at this time in his life and challenged him to be on guard, stand firm in the faith, be a man of courage, be strong, and do everything in love (I Corinthians 16:13-14).

We are so grateful to these men for their love for our son, and for their willingness to walk beside him as he grows in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety." Proverbs 11:14
13!!!!! i can not believe it! i could tell this summer how much his voice was changing. what a great young man he has turned out to be. you should be proud.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteHe's a fantastic kid! Congratulations to ALL of you!
ReplyDeleteThe toolbox theme was an ingenious idea. Very practical for a young man. It looked like an occasion that he won't be quick to forget. (Did momma get to slip in with her camera?)
ReplyDeleteBrace yourself for the next few years of his maturity and growth as a teenager. It's an amazing time of reaping what you've sown, it's an exhausting time as there is so much yet to instill, and it is a most blessed time of knowing that God has a special work for our Christian children to do in life.
Happy 13th Birthday, Destry. Keep your eyes on God. Love and prayers, The Pictons
No, Misti, I didn't slip in with the camera--those pictures are the guys' photography skills! :) I took the first two, one of Destry and one of him and Alan--that's all.
ReplyDeleteI know, Bree--13 pretty much blows my mind. I guess I'm officially old now, with two teenagers. giggle
*deep sigh*
ReplyDeleteyou know where my heart is here... this is beautiful *clears throat* i mean handsome in every sense. LOL thank you for being so open with me on here, but more personally all of our long and short chats about boys and men! this truly is something i feel is missing in our culture and i'm excited for destry and your family!
This post gives me hope for Blake! I've had several frustrating moments/days lately with him. And knowing that you went through the same types of things with Destry and he's turned out so well helps me to look at the big picture. Oh, and it also scares me to death that in the blink of an eye Blake will be that old! But overall, I enjoyed the post immensely. ;)
ReplyDelete