Monday, September 13, 2010

The Haves and the Have-Nots

You've either got it or you don't, ya know.

It? That indefinable quality that some possess, while others observe with a mixture of bemusement, amazement, and perhaps just a touch of jealousy.

I don't have it. My three older children don't have it. I'm beginning to think Kiana has it.

From whence comest said quality? Is it about physical attractiveness? Is it charisma or charm? Is it a quality of vulnerability or need? As much as I try to analyze it, I simply can't figure it out.

Some people just seem to inspire others to give to them. Not by asking with words. Others are just somehow compelled to give to them.

For example, when our family recently stopped at Wendy's to get everyone a small Frosty off the Dollar Menu, the cashier spontaneously gave Kiana a toy from a kids' meal. She didn't offer one to Easton, nor has anything like this ever happened with any of the older children. At ballgames the other parents walk her down to the concession stand to buy her a treat, they bring her lollipops and popsicles from their own trip to the concession stand, and they offer her toys and such from their purses.

We saw this phenomenon in high school, too, right? There were the elite few whose friendship was so highly esteemed we literally saw people trying to buy their friendship. Yet I see it past high school as well. Sometimes it's evidenced by the line of people vying to watch your kids so you can have time alone. Other times it's gifts of food, money, clothes or trips. I'll buy your supper if you'll go out with me. I'll bring you an outfit to wear if you'll come to the event with me. I'll buy something from your Pampered Chef party even though I don't have the extra money and don't like the products. Sometimes the "if" is more subtle, but the underlying "if I do this for you, will you please be my friend" still lurks in the shadows.

Sometimes I've observed relationships to have an element of sickness, in which the person who is always helping the other friend seems to have a need to be superior. As long as I am giving to you and helping you, that makes me feel somehow 'better' and 'needed'. The recipient then seems to play the role of continuing incompetence and neediness. . .because I suppose that *would* be easier than doing it yourself, right?

While these are two seemingly opposite types of situations, they still involve that quality some possess which inspires others to give to them. For the have-nots, that would just never work.

I think I'm too independent to play a role in these types of scenarios. I've referenced before the way I was raised in regard to taking care of myself. I've been told before that I just seem to have it all together, that I don't seem to need any help. I examine myself and wonder if that's just pride in my life, for I constantly battle this ugly sin. Certainly pride plays a role in my refusal to 'buy' a friend--like me for who I am or don't, I guess. Yet I don't think it is pride that makes me want to be independent. I don't know for sure, I'm still trying to figure it out. But I do know that no one ever really has it "all together". No one ever stops needing to "get by with a little help from my friends". I guess I feel like this is just understood, and there is no point in going around complaining about my life or my needs. I feel like I'm pretty real and those who take the time to know me are fully aware of my many shortcomings, needs, and weaknesses. (I'm chuckling as I type this--no need to list them, please! smile)

To be absolutely real, there are times I feel a pinch of jealousy for those people who have lots of things given to them. A part of me would love to be gifted with a freezer full of meat instead of saving money every month to buy some of our meat and raising and butchering the rest. I wonder what it would be like to have someone so badly want me to go with them to a Beth Moore conference or a homeschool conference that they offer to pay all the gas and motel costs. It would certainly have been easier to adopt our children if we had people giving us thousands of dollars (not to minimize the supportive hundreds of dollars we WERE blessed with) and sponsoring benefit dinners, garage sales, and donation buttons on their blogs to raise money for the adoption costs. It would simplify my life if people volunteered to teach my children how to play musical instruments (for free) or come and do my laundry.

Yet deep down I know easier is not necessarily better. I know when we work for something, we appreciate it more. I know the growth which comes through persevering is more valuable than free and easy stuff. I know the Bible says if one doesn't work, neither should he eat. And as I read back through the above paragraph, a voice in my gut tells me I wouldn't let someone pay my way to a conference, but would insist on paying my fair share, nor would I allow someone to teach my children music without some sort of payment or trade in return.

So what does this mean as a 'have-not' parent raising a 'have' child? I'm not sure--writing this post was supposed to help me figure this out! I care a great deal about her character, and want her to learn the value of perseverance and hard work and the growth that comes by doing without rather than receiving everything on a silver spoon. Perhaps it comes down to not abusing this quality that prompts others to give to her; perhaps it involves somehow guiding her away from a sense of entitlement; perhaps it involves teaching her to give more than she receives.

12 comments:

  1. I have read this post...have lots to say. Just processing! GREAT THOUGHTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, Andrea, can't wait to hear what you have to say. Comments? Advice? Observations? I'll be haunting the comment section! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that she's that way too. I've frequently said that about Isaiah, not sure to you, but I've made the comment many times. everyone always finds him so likeable, cute, wants to hug him/take him for the day/buy him things, etc....not that we're not likeable, but Kiana and isaiah seem to have just "whatever" attitudes that are sometimes a breath of fresh air!...there's more I could say, but I have to get ready for our busy afternoon....if I think of it, I'll think more and comment....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the same thing with Charlie, though I've never given it much thought. Hmmm. Let me know if you draw any conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just typed this really long comment and it's gone:( Maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, a lot to process:) i don't even know how to comment. how is that for advice?:) i will think on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i see it in her too and am drawn to her... also my nephew henry has it. :) not sure what to think..... will check back to read andrea's comment!! anxious to read it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have "it", but I have friends who do. I'm sure you can guess one of them, I believe you are anxiously awaiting her comment. I think I look at "it" a little differently. I'm constantly amazed by the change and action these people can generate without even realizing they are doing anything. I think that you teacher her, just like you have your other kids, to be a good christian and a good all around person, b/c like it or not people are going to want to be like her and be in her good favor. I don't now how you teach someone to lead, but I believe people who have "it" naturally know how. She'll learn to persevere and work hard b/c she'll want things that others can't give her. Because you've taught her that what is really important are intrinsic values and not material things. Sometimes I think that it's probably harder for people who have "it". I think it would seem a burden at times to have so many people clambering for my attention. (okay I hope some of this made sense. I think I need to stop b/c the longer I think about it the more I have to say) I know you'll do a wonderful job with this latest parenting challenge. Good Luck.
    Makes you wonder, doesn't it? How on earth did Mary and Joseph conquer the task of raising Jesus? Talk about a child who has "it".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems to me like you wrapped your thought up well about the subject in your conclusion.

    Just realized how I've been guilty in giving to the "have" child myself:)...giggle....but she's just so cute and is hard to resist. Glad it's your job to worry about her character!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea--What a bummer that you lost the comment! I am sorry about that. . .but I still hope you'll share your thoughts (what a pain I am for a friend, hmmm?) And it's getting more interesting as your lifelong friend has identified you as a "have". giggle

    Corin--those are some excellent thoughts--you just keep talking, girl! Makes my wheels turn. The leadership factor, the ability to get things done and motivate others to jump on board--yes, good thoughts. I see that happening in some instances. . .and in others not. Hmmmm, interesting. What makes the difference I wonder, between leading and needing. . .

    Wanting what others can't give her, and valuing intrinsic values and not material things--yes, excellent thought!

    And the burden of being a 'have'--yes, I agree completely. How exhausting it would be to have someone do something nice for you, and you just think 'that was nice', but then when you don't meet their need of 'being their friend' (which they sort of thought they had paid for)--well, they're mad at you. I've seen this sort of thing happen. Thanks for keeping my wheels turning, Corin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that I think about it, after meeting her at the ice cream social my little guy walked around the next day randomly handing me things like a blankie, saying "We should give this to Kiana."

    It seems to me that there's room in the world for both types, as long as both are focused on doing God's work and not putting personal pride or entitlement or independence first. While I fall on the side of working for what you have, I'm gradually realizing that sometimes letting another person show God's love through the gifting of something not small (in value/price) has a place that doesn't always need to be repaid directly, but love passed along in turn when prompted by God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lorri--chuckle/groan, I'm not sure which to do. Ultimately, chuckle I think--that's really cute that he thought he would like to give things to his new friend!

    And yes, I agree there is certainly room for both types (even in my family, ha!). And I also agree that sometimes the best way to "give" is to graciously accept another's gift. Thanks for your comment--it's making me think. I shouldn't have made the blanket statement that I wouldn't "allow" someone to pay my way to a conference or lessons or such, as I would accept such a gift prompted by God's love. . .I think. . .I don't know!!! I just can't imagine such a scenario happening to me. chuckle In retrospect, perhaps my independence is my reaction to being a 'have not' as I know no one is going to hand me stuff, so I may as well be independent-minded. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!