Friday, July 2, 2010

A Follow-Up

Well, I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns yesterday(Khaled's Hosseini's follow-up to The Kite Runner) and it was a good book. Not nearly so powerful, not nearly so well-written, but a good book. It's definitely worth reading, especially for a woman to imagine living as an object and servant under a burqa.

I can't imagine being stripped of my individuality, independence, and DIGNITY as the women in this book were. I can't imagine being 'one of' the wives. I can't imagine telling my daughter "There is only one skill a woman like you and me needs in life. . .only one skill. And it's this: endure. . .It's our lot in life. We endure. It's all we have" (18).

Another awareness-raising concept from this book is that of the effects of war. It opened my eyes (a little--I truly can't imagine it!) to what it would be like to be living in relative comfort and have those everyday conveniences ravaged by war. The author vividly describes losing loved ones to rockets randomly fired upon a city, the viciousness that possesses men under such circumstances, and the uncertainty of living in the chaos for years.

This book was worth reading, but I never need to read it again. The Kite Runner, on the other hand, is one I will definitely re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!