She seems very nice, articulate, and organized. She had a list of questions prepared for me that made me feel as if I were being interviewed--as indeed, I suppose I was! I know it's not about me, and I shouldn't have been nervous, but I felt very nervous anyway. She definitely loves her baby and wants the very best for him and she's going to do all in her power to make sure he ends up in a safe and loving home.
Here is an example of some of the questions I remember her asking
- How would extended family accept a brown baby?
- How will you handle racist comments from people?
- How do you discipline your children?
- Why do you homeschool? If your children wanted to go to school, what would you do?
- What kinds of opportunities are they offered with homeschooling, and do they get to take classes and do things with other kids?
- Do you have a pond/pool? Are you CPR certified?
- If you’re home with your kids all the time, what do you do for yourself/when you need to get away?
- What is your religion?
- Why do you want another child?
- What kind of interaction do you expect during the adoption process?
All these questions, of course, are well within her right to ask as she is trying to do what is best for her son. So now we continue waiting to see if she chooses our family to parent her son. That's just the way this adoption journey is going--be prepared at all times, and then wait! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I really liked her as I visited with her, and it's exciting to think he will soon be born. Please be praying that God's will is done and for Crystal as she makes this difficult decision.
Thanks so much for sharing possible questions we might be asked by a birth mother!
ReplyDeleteWe are also with Christian Adoption Consultants.
heather
www.brandtadoption.wordpress.com
PRAYING!
ReplyDeletewhat great questions. it sounds like she is very smart and wants the best for her son. that in itself should tell you what a great person she is to be making such a hard decision, but wanting to make sure she makes the right one. i am sure you did a great job answering her questions. praying....
ReplyDeletePraying! I love that she asked hard questions. I think that really shows how much she cares for her son. Can't imagine being in her shoes. Love you! Marcy
ReplyDeleteDefinitely praying! Thank you for sharing your journey!
ReplyDeleteSorry to have missed your call last night. Those questions were 'no sweat', right? Actually, I'm sure that you had your thoughts in a row on those questions cause I've heard you talk some of them out already and you are a proactive parent. I will be praying. Thanks for sharing so we can be a part of your crazy journey.
ReplyDeleteLove to ya all.