Monday, July 19, 2010

Immaturity

We've had the opportunity to be involved in some outstanding Bible studies recently that have been prompting a lot of thought and self-evaluation. One lesson was about spiritual growth, and the leader of the study mentioned, almost as an aside, that he sees three areas in which spiritual immaturity is evidenced. This was not the main point of his message, but my brain got hung up here, and I have really been meditating on some of these points.

Spiritual Immaturity is evidenced by:
  1. Carnality. I Corinthians 3:1-3 talks about infants in Christ being worldly and getting bogged down in jealousy and quarreling. In Philippians 3:15-21 Paul cautions Christians not to have confidence in the flesh, and observes that instead of being mature "their mind is on earthly things." This makes me think of so many things that tempt us to think about the flesh, to fulfill self, to focus on this life here and now. . .I even think of entertainment as someone recently said "the purpose of entertainment is to keep us from thinking about God." Now, I'm one who enjoys reading, watching movies, sports, and playing games--but when I thought about it as just distracting us from our purpose as a Christian. . .that really makes me stop and think!
  2. Ignorance of the Scripture. Hebrews 5:12-6:2 talks about those who need milk, not solid food, which is for the mature "who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil" and are ready to move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ. Constant use. . .I would sure know the Scriptures better if I used them constantly!
  3. Instability. Ephesians 4:14-15 tells us not to be children who are tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine, but to *grow up* into Christ in all things and II John 9 cautions us not to run ahead but to continue in the teaching of Christ. It's so tempting sometimes to have 'itching ears' and seek out those teachers or books that tell us what we want to hear or have a new idea instead of loving the Truth and continuing in the teaching of Christ. I think of Balaam, famous for his talking donkey. God gave him clear direction. . .but Balaam didn't like what God said. So he asked again, like a child asking for something again, or going to the other parent, hoping for a different answer. He certainly showed immaturity, both by his carnal greed and by essentially saying "I don't like what God says--how can I find a way around it?"
These points were very convicting to me, and as I look at myself and compare with God's Word, I see plenty of room to "grow up into Christ."

2 comments:

  1. If you'd like to do an interesting study, read about Balaam in Numbers 22-25, chapter 31:1-24; Deuteronomy 23:4-5; Micah 6:5; II Peter 2:13-22; Jude 11 and especially Revelation 2:14. There is so much more to Balaam's story than a talking donkey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing to me that you got all these nuggets out of Balaam. Sounds like I was a great study. Thanks for posting the references. Might have to search them out later today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!