I have three confessions to make today. They involve parenting and homeschooling. I could confess many more shortcomings, of course, but I have chosen to reveal only three of them for now.
1) I am tired of my children practicing instruments. I have not revamped our daily schedule since Briana and Destry began piano lessons, and I just can't figure out a good time of day for them to practice piano. Destry practices his violin every morning from 8 to 8:30 and that works out pretty well. But they have to take turns on the piano, and if they do it in the morning, it seems to mess the whole day up and I feel behind. The sound of wrong notes makes my ears hurt, my blood pressure rise, and simply puts me on edge and makes me irritable. Add to that, Mrs. Twila is moving them along at an incredible pace, so they each think they need to practice for an hour. Oh, and did I mention they enjoy it? So sometimes, at random points throughout the day, they practice AGAIN!!
2) I don't particularly enjoy Tolkien. I thought I did--it's been years since I read his books--and I purchased an incredible literature guide for The Lord of the Rings series. The guide is outstanding, it will teach them more than a hundred literary terms, and they will write many essays and other excellent opportunities. I was so looking forward to this literature unit and enjoying it with the children, but I'm reading The Hobbit right now and it's like taking medicine. Maybe it will get better???
3) I am tired of math. I enjoyed math in school and took every class--Algebra I and II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytic Geometry and Math Analysis in addition to Statistics and Calculus in college. But now I'm tired of it--and research says math is the weakest subject for homeschoolers, so I have long been determined to stay with my children in this subject. I watch every new lesson with them, look over what they are doing to make sure they understand it, and personally grade not only all their tests, but most of their daily lessons (although they sometimes switch papers and check one another). I am tired of pages piling up that need graded and I am tired of sitting down and remembering how to work with binomials, polynomials, square roots, slope-intercept, and volume and surface area.
Well, that's enough sharing for one day. Sometimes parenting and homeschooling just isn't about me and what I enjoy, now is it? And don't worry--I'm not letting my bad attitude rub off on the kiddos. They're still practicing instruments, we're still going to have fun with Tolkien, and I will continue keeping up with Algebra and Geometry (even if it kills me!). I bet that was three things you didn't know about me before, hmmm?
All you need is a sound proof room in the basement for instrument practice! lol! As far as the other two items, I have nothing that would be helpful...they both sound dreadful! You do a great job! Marcy
ReplyDeletemaybe you need a vacation:) or maybe a bunco night:)
ReplyDeleteI think people grow out of Tolkien. That may seem strange but several people I know loved those books the first time they read them and then went back to read them again only to find they didn't care for them anymore. My husband is a prime example. He still loves the story but didn't enjoy the book as much when he went back to read it. I personally never made it through The Hobbit, proof that some people never grow into Tolkien.
ReplyDeleteSuch candid confessions.....remember unequal work will not produce equal results. Hang in there on the rough days.
ReplyDeleteI can't read Tolkien either, which is too bad since he's Justin's favorite. I barely made it through The Hobbit and haven't attempted any since.
ReplyDeleteMarcy--giggle, soundproof room in the basement, love it!! Thanks for the encouragement though, my friend!
ReplyDeleteBree--Bunco night. . .YES! on the calendar! :)
Corin and Amanda--Glad to know I'm not alone. I put it aside for now, and will resume some other day when I am 'in the mood' to try again! :)
Misti--I'm a'hangin'! :) Just felt like being real--sometimes we do what we need to do, and don't always feel like it, hmmm?
It's useless math anyhow...I never took it and have never needed it ;}
ReplyDelete