I recently finished the book 'Friendships of Women' by Dee Brestin which a friend recommended and loaned to me. It had many good points and caused me to evaluate both myself as a friend and my personal friendships. I really liked the way she based the whole book around the biblical relationships of David and Jonathan, Ruth and Naomi, and Mary and Elizabeth. She has amazing insight into the lessons we can gain from what God's Word tells us about these people and their relationships. Since I borrowed the book, I'm again going to type up some of the quotes that resonated with me. In the biblical model, friends have unfailing love which 'means anticipating a friend’s needs, following up on her concerns. . .paying attention' (118). She says 'sin enters the picture when a friendship becomes a dependent relationship. In a healthy friendship, we desire to see our friend reach her potential—it is a giving friendship in which we build her up, encourage her to reach out to others, and find ways to serve God' (50). While it's easy for us to slide into complacency about the needs of others when our own needs for intimacy are being met (46), she keeps bringing the reader back to the need to reach out to others with the heart of a servant. Sometimes the way to serve another is by giving her the opportunity to serve, as she says ' we need to overcome our reluctance in asking people to help us bear our temporary overburdens. And we need to be discerning, like Ruth, and realize that a friend may really need us despite her protestations otherwise' (78). All her message revolves around truly knowing a friend, paying attention to who she is and anticipating what she needs--unfailing love.
The Hebrew word for the unfailing love she keeps bringing the reader back to is 'heses' and is the word used in Proverbs 19:22 NIV: "What a man desires is unfailing love". She says 'there are two main thoughts intertwined in this complex Hebrew word. The first is that of mercy or kindness. The second is faithfulness. . .We want our friends to be kind to us, and to never abandon us. We want the kindness of friends intertwined with the permanence of family' (107). While many people view friendship through a 'what's-in-it-for-me-lens' and leave once things get difficult or they aren't getting what they 'need' from the relationship, the author suggests that christians shouldn't be as quick to consider friendships 'disposable' as much of the world does. She says 'there may very well be a time under heaven to close the door on friendships, especially the loose ties. Each of us can maintain only a limited number of close ties. But I believe we too easily are closing doors on the ‘real connections’, and falling into the world’s mold of impermanence and easy good-byes when we fail to be true to the people whose souls have been knit with ours' (117).
So what do we do if a friendship has 'lost its first love'? Brestin says 'when the church at Ephesus was not feeling the same love for Christ that they had once, Jesus told them to do three things: Remember the height from which you have fallen; repent; and do the things you did at first' (Rev. 2:5, pg. 111). I thought that was an interesting application, and true for any kind of a relationship, whether between friends, spouses, or a sinner and her Savior.
The biggest point I got from her book involved my relationship with Christ. I have to agree with Brestin's comment that 'Naomi has shown me why I am so vulnerable. Like Naomi, I have a tendency to depend on my human relationships rather than God' (94). While God is always there and ready to listen to me, advise me, and love me, I tend to want a human that I can physically see and hear. I want encouragement and understanding from a friend, and sometimes I want a friend to 'take me away!' (I'd choose a friend over Calgon any day! ha!) But the biblical model is for me to go to God to have my needs met, and then reach out, in unfailing love, to serve others, and drive them to God. It's pretty obvious to me that the only way I can even come close to having the 'unfailing love' and healthy relationships epitomized in the Bible is by seeking God first "for in him we live, and move, and have our being" (Acts 17:28). |
Monday, July 6, 2009
Musings on Friendship
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!