Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another Milestone

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Well, my baby's growing up. I know, you're probably thinking about Kiana with that comment, but they're all my babies--isn't that a funny thing about us mommas?? This baby is Destry. My 11-year-old son gave his first lesson for the congregation meeting at Memphis last Wednesday night. They were having an evening meeting of mutual edification, with each of the male christians bringing a song and a teaching (I Corinthians 14:26), and Destry spoke about friendships for about 5-7 minutes. He did such a wonderful job, in my absolutely unbiased opinion! (Aren't mothers just obnoxious sometimes?!) He confessed his belief in Jesus as the Son of God and was immersed for the remission of his sins a little over a year ago, and has been trying to live a repentant life ever since. He stumbles at times, as we all do, but he is in the Word daily and his daddy does a really good job teaching and discipling him, and I am confident God is blessing him with growth . I'm going to type up his thoughts here, (fixing the spelling errors! ha) partially just so I have them in the future!

Friendships

I. Why should we avoid some friendships?

A. James 4:4 Friendship with the world is being an enemy of God

B. Being friends with a worldly person can lead you astray

1. I Corinthians 15:33

2. Proverbs 13:20

3. I am easily influenced by friends. For example, I spent some time with some friends who liked to ride dirt bikes and it really made me want to ride mine. Friends really influence each other. So we need to be very careful about our choice of friends.

C. II Kings 2:23-25 You might think that not all these boys were mocking Elisha, but because of their choice of friends, they suffered the consequences. They were guilty by association.

II. What kind of people should we not be friends with? Proverbs gives us the instruction we need

A. 14:7 the foolish man

B. 14:17 man who is quick tempered

C. 15:5 man who despises teaching

D. 20:3 arguing man

E. 29:11 man who does not control his feelings

III. So who should be my friend?

A. James 2:23 Those who believe in God are considered righteous and a friend of God

B. I hope that the thoughts that I have shared with you will not only help you to avoid bad friendships, but will also help you examine the type of friend you are.

DSC01793

And here he is, with his bestest friend and sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!