Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What is meant for only me?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I read this poem in a magazine today:

Duties are pressing upon me, and the time for work is brief, what if with purblind vision, I neglect the very chief?

What if I do with ardor, what a thousand could maybe, and leave undone forever, what was meant for only me?

poem by Charlotte Fiske Bates

I thought it was so good! It makes me think of what I frequently say, and have shared with a good friend of mine who is always worrying that she can't handle doing more church work while raising and hsing three kids: "Our children are our ministry." I strongly believe this. It's so easy to lose track of what is really important, and to choose something 'good' over what is 'best'. Other things aren't inherently bad, but training our children is best. This is the season of life I am in. It's been a maturing process for me to learn to say no to those 'good things'. It would be easier if everything came with a little tag marking it as 'good, but not best' so we wouldn't have to discern for ourselves! There are many good things I could be doing, but they are things that many others could also do. I am the only one who can be Mom to my precious children. Sure wish I remembered, every single moment of every single day, to be a good one, to be a joyful one, to be a selfless one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!