the more I realize how little I know! Does anyone else ever feel this way?! As I read and research about the upcoming election, I feel my ignorance more strongly. Articles such as these below examine and critique propaganda with an insight I just don't possess, and use words like Neocons, Socialist (Gramscian) Neo-Marxism, pragmatism, and cultural hegemony. I keep having to pause to look words up and just try to process what I'm reading. http://www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/Blog/Entries/2008/8/30_Did_McCain_Make_a_Pro-Family_Pick____.html
I love to think and learn, don't get me wrong, but it's rather funny how I'm getting dumber as life goes on instead of smarter. When I graduated from high school, now. . .I was SMART back then! I'm reading a book called 'Whatever Happened to Penny Candy' by Richard J. Maybury. If you're like me, and aren't even quite sure what 'economics' entails, it's a great book to read. I'm learning about inflation, recession, and federal debt--what they really mean, what causes it, and how it affects me. It's sort of scary to learn. . .I remember when ignorance was bliss! I have learned so much in eight years of home educating. The worst of it is, these last eight years have shown me how much I don't know--how much I have to learn. As we studied about ancient Greece, I read: "The state controlled the system of education to ensure uniformity of doctrine and thought. . .The driving religious philosophy behind the Greek system was the worship of man. Their system did produce great knowledge, but it also produced pride, immorality, nakedness, institutionalism, dependence on government, a militaristic philosophy, and a destruction of family cohesiveness and love. . .The role of the family was replaced by the state, and each person lived his life clamoring selfishly for his share of government services and rights." (from 'The Heart of Wisdom' by Robin Sampson, pg 78.) Now, I'm not trying to say that everyone should homeschool, so don't get sidetracked or hung up on that. I do, however, think we have a responsibility to learn all this stuff I don't know (and pass it on to our children). Socialism is here, in our country. Do we even know what it is??? I think most of us don't know it's here because we don't know what it is, and we certainly don't recognize it for what it is. Perhaps it's not something to fear, but rather what we, as Christians, need in order to force us to our knees in service to our Savior rather than getting caught up in materialism, feminism, ecumenicalism. . .all those other isms. I don't know. That's about all I know--that I need to learn. (Next book on my list of books to read: 1984. I've never read it. Has anyone read it?? Thoughts?) |
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
The More I Learn. . .
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!