Tuesday, October 21, 2008
I'm reading a book again. I wasn't real excited to read this book, because I've read so many books about being a better christian, wife, and mother, and it seems they all start saying pretty much the same thing over again. But a friend told me I really should read it, and passed me her copy. I'm enjoying it--lots of good stuff in it. It's almost tempting to buy my own copy. . .but I think that's a problem (addiction?!) I have. . .buying books!! Just because I like a book doesn't mean I have to OWN it, right? I'm thinking this is becoming covetousness in my life. Hold me accountable, now--don't let me buy 'Passionate Housewives Desperate for God' written by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald. (Well, unless as I keep reading it just keeps getting better, then I might need a copy so I can read it again. . .right?!)I'm not quite half finished yet, and here are some great quotes/ideas so I'll still have them after I return the book. How is the world to comprehend (Christ's) desire for obedient hearts who are willing to serve--not expecting to be served--unless we christians are showing (not just telling) them we believe it ourselves? pg xxiii In serving as her husband's helper, a wife performs many valuable roles. She is to be his solitary lover, his counselor, and his closest friend. She has the unique honor of mothering his children and keeping their home. pg 32 Over the years I have learned that so much depends on my being home--my being available to the needs of my husband and my children. Our older children are wonderful helpers, but they are not "Mom". Our little ones need my attention, training, correction, teaching, reassurance, and boo-boo kissing. Our older children still need me for many of those things as well. But they require Mom's attention in other ways too. They need challenging conversation, scriptural counsel, intimate friendship, and advanced home-training. pg 37 I also really appreciated the authors quoting this passage: The nations shall know that I am the Lord, says the Lord God, when I am hallowed in you before their eyes. Ezekiel 36:23 It seems all these quotes and the scripture have a common theme of servanthood--serving God, showing Him as Lord of my life as I serve those around me rather than my own selfish preferences. These things are definitely not my natural tendency, so it's only through God's grace and strength we can live this out. The last quote from the authors is especially convicting to me. I tend to be pretty comfortable interacting with young children--I'd guess because I grew up with lots of little kids! But sometimes I just don't see the needs of older children as easily, and I often don't quite know what to do with them. 'Challenging conversation. . .scriptural counsel. . .intimate friendship. . .advanced home-training.' Wow! That sounds like a lot! This is another place my selfishness comes in. In the evenings, after the little ones are in bed and I could be enjoying these areas with the older children. . .well, I just feel tired. I want to crash on the couch with a book and let them read for a little while before bed as well. I'm not sure there are enough brain cells firing at the end of the day for me to provide challenging conversation! But I need to work on it. Thanks to these ladies for reminding me of that fact!Do people see the Lord hallowed in us???? hallow: to make clean, consecrate, dedicate, keep holy place, proclaim, purify, sanctify. Hmmmm. . . . |
(Well, unless as I keep reading it just keeps getting better, then I might need a copy so I can read it again. . .right?!)
But I need to work on it. Thanks to these ladies for reminding me of that fact!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!