Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Momma and Her Boys

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Is it just me, or is there something special about Mommas and boys? Don't get me wrong, I love all my children beyond description, but each gender seems to have its own precious uniqueness. For one thing, my boys are just more physical. Forget just sitting and having a calm, quiet conversation. Everything involves touching--whether I'm being wallered to death or we're wrestling or having tickling contests. . .the list goes on and on. How many teachers do you know who have a child sitting on the arm of their chair or draped over the back of the couch while they're reading history?!

pile on mommy

And the noise! They simply have abilities I don't possess. Destry, age 10, convulses in giggles when I try to make a gun noise (he claims almost-2-year-old Easton does it better-- can you imagine?!) or when I try to do 'vocal percussion'. (Truth--I pretend I'm doing it silly on purpose to make him laugh, but the fact is, that's all the better it gets!) Their animal sounds are out of this world. Do you know a donkey doesn't really say 'hee-haw' and roosters never really say 'cock-a-doodle-doo'? Women wrote those children's books. These boys sound as much like the animals as the animals themselves! Daddy says Easton's donkey sound is better than 'Bruce-y's donkey sound' (yes, our real, live donkey has competition from a toddler). That's the positive info about noise. For the negative info on noise, they're LOUD! The only other volume they have is LOUDER.

Destry and Bruce-y

(Daring Destry standing on the donkey last summer--no fear, 'I won't get hurt, Mom'.)

Imaginations--WOW! On our way home from services this evening, the boys were in the back of the van with their arms in the air, waving them back and forth and making loud noises including 'whee', 'yee-haw', and such. Silly me, I hadn't realized we were on a roller coaster! (Really, these Missouri roads aren't *that* bad!) We're learning about the Middle Ages this year. Yep, knights, samurai, swords, castles, all sorts of things to ignite a boy's imagination. Easton frequently approaches me with a stick saying 'sor-figh' (otherwise known as sword fight) and starts saying 'tink. . .tink. . .tink' as our sticks clash. And who else but boys would stick their elbows out at one another and wave them wildly while making 'tinking' sounds. Who needs a sword when you have elbows!

Destry jousting

(Destry jousting from 'bike-back' rather than horseback, a detail for which Momma was ever so grateful! Look out, the 'spear' is aiming right at you, despite the blurry picture quality!)

Invincibility--muddy messes--torn knees in every pair of jeans--ingenuity--the list could go on and on. I'm reading a book (gasp of surprise!). I may write a review for your viewing pleasure as I'm finding it very interesting. It's called 'That's My Son' by Rick Johnson. I've decided my boys aren't any different from any other boys--this is just how God made them. And I'm glad! (Though I am always open to advice from other, more experienced mothers of boys on how to 'raise men, not boys'!)

z141798088

Destry in a quiet moment. (Thanks for the pic, sis! I lifted it off your site! ha) Can you not see that core of sweetness lurking behind those ornery eyes? And here's my other boy with the goofy smile he brings out EVERY TIME he sees a camera these days. We all know he's saying 'cheese', right?!

Easton's goofy grin

God give us men! A time like this demands

Strong minds, great hearts, true faith, and ready hands;

Men whom the lust of office does not kill;

Men whom the spoils of office cannot buy;

Men who possess opinions and a will;

Men who have honor; men who will not lie.

Josiah Gilbert Holland

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Did you know people actually go back, way back and read blog entries?! I love this one about your two (then) boys. Reminds me of my two now. Our baby (21 mos) has begun making "jet" noises! It's funny because Asher did that every. time. he. moved. until just recently. I'll have to check out the book you mention. I want my boys to be men one day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!